The Castle's Keep
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Castle's Keep

Courts of kingdoms always hide secrets, be they from other members of the court or foreign nations. Though noble houses band together, sometimes they are kept that way only to plot against one another

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Naida Lake Dweller

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mags

Mags

The Naida Lake Dweller Empty
PostSubject: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Beauty. Passion. Truth. Love. Lies. Betrayal. Seduction. Skarr had known these all too well, etched into her mind since birth. A creation of the Dwellers of the Forest of Ulfur, a traitor to the Gypsy Camp, rumored through cities and towns for witchcraeft and other such notions. Lies. Almost all of them. Mischievious in nature, considered to be wildly unexpected and unpredictable. Only certain secrets remained in the darkest acloves the trees provided.

Dancing proved to be a wonderful tactic to gain admission to most villages who would otherwise shun her for what she was. Bare feet, always a must, decorated by the anklets of golden chains, which jingled with merriment with each step she took. Golden Amber hair that mesmerized deficient suitors, fell in waves upon waves of curls, many imagining losing themselves amongst her untarnished skin without reprieve. And those beautiful topaz eyes, that sparkled with a felicitous hue. Her beauty was a curse to men.

Though, now, she dwelled in the solitude of the forest. A home built into the trees, by an immense amount of work and dedication, resided by The Naida Lake, where the water always shined in the sunlight, reflecting light onto the surrounding areas. She remained lakeside, enjoying the slight breeze, which stole her breath. A gypsy at ease, what a rare sight to behold.
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 8:56 pm

They called him the Thief King but those who met him never knew why. He seemed to be alright, looked like a hard working member of society. He was even reknown for his skill at blacksmithing. Deep down, however, he was definitley the son of famous thief Harris Delacroix. Carter Delacroix was his name and his game was to make sure that the rich pigs of the Earth never got more than those who truly needed it.

The reasons he stole were simple. He had a younger sister and two younger brothers who relied on him. Had it not been for them, he would have been travelling the world for reasons of his own. Now he travelled the woods that connected the kingdom of Luminiege and Ulfur for the rich who happened to think that it was a safe route between the two. He would rob them blind, always acting the part of the innocent man lost along the route. As soon as they were off of the horses to help, he would take the gold.

Today was no different. He was looking for an easy mark who would believe him to be an innocent young man. But it had been a hard day and like most hard days he needed to make sure that he ate and spent time to cool down. He was not accustomed to the warm weather, no matter how long he had been going between the two kingdoms.

Like most days, he stopped at the Naida lake, a beautiful area where creatures played. Today he saw no creatures but he did see a girl. A beautiful young girl, feet bare and a look like no other. He watched cooly from the shade as she danced, enraptured by the act.
Back to top Go down
https://the-castles-keep.forumotion.com
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 10:32 am

In the sunlight of the day passed, her heart was left racing against the beat of the forest, pulling against its restraints trying to rip itself out of her chest, soar into the air, and fly amongst the Heavens. Her skin was set aflame suddenly, by a strange new presence in the air. And as she twisted and turned, hips swaying, she pointed her nose towards the sky, until eruptly she stopped.

Something wasn't right.

An unfamiliar scent drifted on the winds, one she did not recognize. Many of the Creatures that lived throughout the forest, she had become accustomed to, only this wasn't quite the case. This happenstance made the hairs on her arm stand to attention. Looking out over the beautiful glimmering water, she noticed a figure, perhaps a man, or a large-framed woman. She didn't know for sure, but she felt their eyes on her.

It almost made her temper flare. Spies. Great.

Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Carter couldn't help but supress a smile as he watched the lithe woman flit around in a beautiful dance. She was talented, of that there was no doubt. To himself he wandered if she was a dancer in the court of some great king and, true to the thief he was, his mind briefly thought about how much money she had on her person.

He banished the thought from his head as he looked over her. The way she was dressed, the way she moved. There was no inkling in her abilities that spoke of the rich and over confident air of most members of court.

He noticed that she caught scent of him, turning to look at him. With a confident nod of his head, he headed over to him. "I'm sorry to interupt you, ma'am. I was simply watching you dance. There was a beauty to it and one can never pass up a beautiful thing."

Some called him a charmer and it was true. He relied on how men and women thought on him. But looking at this woman, there was something different about her. Something almost primal. He didn't know many natives of Ulfur but he was certain that she was different than all of them.
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 1:57 pm

An arched brow raised in question to the now prominent male that approached her being, taking an involuntary step backwards, keeping a short distance between his quite larger frame. Irrationally, the first thing that came to mind was determining her fighting skills, the little that she had. Instinct usually won over, but now she felt nervous.

The clothes he adorned suggested that he could be royalty if he wanted to assume such a role, or even a stowaway Prince, of which royalty had no time for her insanely idle schedule. Temper flared just a bit, fraying the edges of her emotions like a tidal wave demolishing a city.

"You're not welcome here, tyrant." She spoke, seething through her teeth at the thought of Aristocrats taking control of the lovely forest splayed before her feet. And in truth, they were unwelcome. Court life didn't reach even the outskirts of the forest of Ulfur. But she had witnessed enough pain and agony that went along with royalties.

The way they considered themselves superior in all matters, belittling the people of the great Kingdoms. The way they destroyed half her village when she was only a child. They called it 'The Great Cleansing', exposing the 'wicked' and ultimately hanging them before children in masses without a care to the world.

It had been horrible. Her earliest memory. Which is why she decided later in life, she would never dance for Aristocrats, only those who deserved the joy in the entertainment she provided. Whether they were wealthy or not. She stole from Royals. And that particular day, she had been awaiting the Royal Carriage, which always trailed through the forest path, abundant with jewels and such. But never did she steal for just her own living. She knew of villagers who could barely make ends meet, and she helped them as much as she could. They would bless her as always, almost as a family she wished she had, but never did.

"Who are you, stranger?" She inquired softly, her right hand slowly reaching behind her backside, where a jeweled dagger rested in the ties of her bellowing skirts, which left one leg halfway exposed, an ease for dancing. Her nimble digits grasped the hilt tightly, preparing for what could turn into a messy situation had the need arisen.
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 4:06 pm

"Tyrant?" Carter asked, eyebrow raised as he looked her over. "S'pose I am one of these great tyrants you claim that I am? Why would you dare talk to such a man that way?"

With a glance he stole another look at his surrounding. He supposed that living in such an environment she could fight, probably rather well. He himself was not much of a fighter but his size would be enough to over power her lithe frame.

"If I was a tyrant would I have this?" he smirked as he removed the heavy brown glove that covered his right hand. There, displayed for her to see as he held his hand up to his face with his palm facing her, was a simple tattoo.

It was not much to look at, simply a few lines. In all actuality they were ruins, ancient ruins from an ancient language long since dead to the people of any nation. However, it was a marking that, if he judged her correctly, she had seen before. It was the mark of the thieves guild.

"My name is Carter Delacroix," he smiled, "and unless you want me to use my dagger, I suggest getting your hand off of yours."
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 4:23 pm

“Men,” She scoffed, with the liberation of rolling her topaz eyes to the sky. Though, best hiding it, she was actually surprised to see the Thieves Guild Mark upon his hand, identical to the one she had amongst the back of her neck, hidden by tufts of glimmering hair. “Think they know everything. Always bossing people around. Do this, don’t do that. You’d think they’d learn.”

The normal place of the tattoo, upon one’s hand, had been a fight from the start. In the beginning, she had refused to have the ink staining any skin that strangers and passersby could gawk at. Hence, the reason it remained on the backside of her frame.

Her protests turned into grumbling murmurs of incoherency as she bent to pick up the small violin by her side. It was a rather beauty, carved straight from a cherry oak, and the tones would send shivers down her spine when her brother Dmitri would play it. And without a word, she sighed, escaping through a bush which held a hidden path behind, praying this strange man would not follow.

He already made her temper flare, irritating her to the point where she wanted to rip her hair out. Though, something about his company was soothing. Maybe she wasn’t as alone as she had originally thought.
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Carter huffed at the rolilng of her eyes, the commenting on bossing people around. The only people he had bossed around in all his years of living were his three younger siblings. And the occasional mark he quickly thought to himself but we'll leave that alone.

When she took off, her beautiful violin in hand, he grumbled. He didn't have time for this. He didn't have time to chase a beautiful and mysterious woman through the woods. He didn't have time but that's what he was sure going to do.

His pace was quick, having been chasing things since he was old enough to walk. At first it had been his father, wanting to stick by the older mans side. Then it had been his brothers and sister, wanting to make sure that the three of them stayed out of trouble and that the four of them as a whole stayed together. Now it was money. Money that was hard to come by in Luminiege.

"Where are you going?" Carter asked as he rushed after her, the fact that she wasn't as dressed as he was being what was slowing him down. "I'm not going to hurt you if that's what you're thinking ma'am! I only want to talk to you!"
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Ma’am? Really?” She instantaneously spun on the balls her feet, mere inches away from his once again approaching form, glaring as she swung her bow at his chest, the frog end catching against his stature with a whap. “Do I seriously look that old....?-argh- Never mind.”

“Stop following me, tsk.” Growling she made way through the trees like it had been etched into her mind subconsciously, until an enormous tree blocked the worn path. It was perhaps maybe the largest tree in this part of Ulfur, with a radius of nearly 10 men. Aged, and still growing strong.

She hitched her violin and bow betwixt the cloth of her binging skirt, attaching it neatly just below her waist. Digits claimed bark as bare feet hoisted her up, climbing the tree as Ulfurians could. Until her frame disappeared into a massive hole carved to the inside.

Peeking back over the edge, she rolled her eyes, unbelieving that he would not just go.

“Might as well get up here, thief. Steal any of my things, and I’ll cut off your hands.”
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 am

Carter winced as the bow connected with his chest, "It's not that you look that old, I call everyone ma'am. I may be a thief but I still respect others. Is that such a crime these days? Not the thievery, of course, because that is a crime. I mean the being respectful!"

When she growled at him, he rolled his eyes. Growling? Really? What was she a wild animal who was trying to protect her home? Carter's eyes stopped on the tree that they were in front of. It was by far one of the largest that he had ever seen in Ulfur, with a large base that unlike most trees didn't taper into something smaller.

The girl scaled the tree without any problems and when she peered at him and told him to get up there, he couldn't help but supress a laugh.

"Me, up in an old tree that could come crashing down at any time? Besides, what are you a squirrel? You live in a hole in a tree. I'd much rather talk somewhere that wasn't cramped."
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 10:40 am

"It's quite bigger than what you think, sir. But I'm only staying long enough to grab something." She disappeared back against the looming darkness, moments turning into minutes.

Suddenly, she stood upon edge, wavering at the ledge until she took one step to free fall the distance from the opening to the ground, landing neatly on the balls of her feet, knees bent to support the impact. She straightened, watching him carefully, undeciding yet whether she would trust him or not. Trust was considered hard to come by in the Theives Guild. Though, she did offer a small smile, trying to be as decent as she could with the little social skills she had. It was embarrassing, really.

Now, she sported a bulging bag sown of silk, and it jingled merrily, hanging from her wrist tightly. Violin, no where to be seen or heard of.

"I need to make a trip into town."
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 10:45 am

Carter rolled his eyes as he leaned against a nearby tree. This girl is either going to get me killed or get herself killed.

When she returned moments later, he wondered how she was going to get down. He looked at her stance, seeing her stand on the ledge of her house before it sank in. The nut is going to jump! I make an assumption about her and ten minutes later it happens! Great work Carter! What are you supposed to tell....

When she landed on her feet, it occured to him that she may have been jumping from that since she started living in the tree. Surely it was easier than climbing down every time. She was crazy, of that there was no doubt, and Carter's trust was borderline non-existant with anyone who was not family.

"A trip into town you say? To sell things?" he smirked.
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 11:08 am

"Not exactly." She mused at the look on his face, passing by his leaning form, bumping into him teasingly. "Scaredy cat."

And with that, she kept walking back up the worn path she had before, humming softly under her breath, and with every few steps her feet would tap happily against the packed dirt, or she would spin, dancing by herself. The change purse tinkling along with her care-free disposition. Nothing could ever take her happiness away. It seemed to be the only freedom she had left.

And soon the lake appeared back into view, but she did not stop there, slowly walking past its bubbling shore, letting her toes sink into the few inches of water. It was a lovely day, and like most beautiful days, she wanted to spend it outdoors. A trip to the village seemed appropriate.

"So where are you from, Stranger?" She asked, curious. She did not make the pleasure of meeting those who lived on the outskirts of Ulfur nor those who didn't live in Ulfur at all.

A sign passed by on her right. Valhedge. A small village in which she visited more often then not.
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 11:12 am

"I am not scared! I am simply aware how insane you are for jumping from one of the tallest trees in the entire forest of Ulfur. You do realize that fall would kill a normal person aren't you?" Carter asked, raising an eyebrow as he looked at her.

They walked together, Carter noticing the way that she danced to herself as they walked. It was refreshing to be around someone with as much youth and vigor as this young girl. Sure, his sister was bright and fun but this girl seemed to blow her sister's youth out of the water.

"I'm from Luminiege," Carter replied as they walked, glancing up at the bright sun that beat down on the two of them. It was a refreshing sight to be able to look up into the sky and see something other than the upcoming snow. "It's not as beautiful as here, not even close."
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 11:31 am

"I've known how to climb trees the entirety of my twenty years. It's not as dangerous as you make it seem." She rolled bronze hues straight to the heavens. Seriously, he apparently hasn't seen Ulfurians very much. "Luminiege, huh? I haven't heard a whole too much about there. I heard it's a brutal winter wasteland. But rumors could always just be rumors."

The hustle and bustle of the village could be heard eventually, as they came closer and closer to it's gates. The worn and rotting wooden gates loomed taller than three men, but Skarr was unintimidated, she had been here too many times to count. and if she ever considered a place to call home, Valhedge Village would be it. She raised a closed fist, knuckles rapturing the surface of the gate gently, though loud enough for someone to hear from the other side. A window opened, and a familiar face opened it to greet her.

"Skarr?" A man questioned.

"Yes, Dmitri. Now, let me in. I have things to attend. And this one here-" She motioned towards Carter, "-he's with me. Don't worry."

The gates opened almost immediately after the words left her soft lips, and revealed probably one of the most poorest villages in all of Ulfur. Villagers seemed busy with their everyday matters, the street lined with vendors and markets. It wasn't much, but she appreciated it. Children still ran around playing and laughing, some stopping by to tug at her skirts, skipping around feet joyously, greeting her as if they knew her so well. And that they did. She made a point to visit the Village at least once a week. They all cooed her name, pleading for her to dance with them, but she refused only for the moment.

"Valhedge Village." She called, and the Villagers stopping, finally noticing that she were there. Their faces lit up into smiles, and whilst she pulled the change bag from her wrist they gathered round, embracing her one at a time. She began placing small amounts of gold and jewels from admist the bags into the palms of their hands. Murmured blessings went round like an infection, thanking her as they were handed money. She felt happy, glancing back at Carter with a compassionate smile, and warm eyes. Something she rarely showed anyone.
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 11:42 am

"Luminiege doesn't have many trees for me to have learned how to climb," Carter replied as he shrugged his shoulders, "I've been living there all of my life. The rumors? They aren't rumors. It's a wasteland. Nothing grows, nothing wants to grow. The word is, not that I've ever been one for supernatural gossip, that the world understood when King Irvine lost power and William Bennett became king that the Bennett line was a lot of cold hearted maurauders."

He looked at the gates, the worn and rotting wood reminding him of back home. It wasn't much but he knew that people lived here, he could hear the commotion from the outside of the gates. Briefly he wondered on his own village. Did they look like this to outsiders?

As soon as the gates opened, Carter saw a village that reminded him of home. It was warmer and it was full of more people, but it was a home. Vendors selling everything from scents that a man or woman could wear to impress the opposite sex to poorly crafted weapons that were made out of the poorest steel stood calling out for their wares. The markets were filled with foods and animals and all sorts of things. He smiled as he looked around, each sight a new one. Each smell something that he didn't have back home. Though the two villages were full of kindred souls, there was still a difference in the two.

Perhaps what made Carter smile the most was the way that everyone seemed to respect her. The children wanted her to play and dance with them, the men looked at her as if she was a prize to be won. Not that they would ever win that prize. Though he had spent little time with her, Carter realized Skarr, only just now knowing her name, was different than any woman he had ever met before.

She stood in the village square, Carter by her side, and called out to the village. He didn't know what was going to happen. Was she going to dance for them? Was she going to pilfer them? But as the village stopped to look at her and she opened the sack she hauled over her shoulder like a travelling merchant and started handing the villagers gold and jewels, Carter knew what this was about.

She didn't steal for her. In her eyes, she saw herself as rich enough. She could eat, she had a nice place to live, she was happy. These people, though happy as they were, didn't have even as much as she did. Carter thought about himself. Have I been so selfish as to not see what I have in front of me? No...no. What I did...it's different. I do it for a real reason. No matter how he tried to lie to himself, he knew it was wrong.

"Skaar...miss...your different," Carter replied softly.
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 11:20 pm

There were things in Skarr's life that she protected as her own, Valhedge Village being one of them. Nothing could have possibly meant more to her. The village had adopted her, in the basic way of thinking, almost immediately after her parents deaths. Dmitri grew up to be the brother she had lost, having taught her the way of the forest. Differentiating the variety of plants and herbs, poisoness plants, and a lot of the edible foods the forest naturally provided.

Without him, she wouldn't be the person she was today, could have grown into a completely different personality.

The villagers laughed and smiled, filling her in on the past week's happenings, eyeing Carter as any stranger would. She felt a pang of guilt at their reaction to his presense, yet it was to be expected from the hard times looming over Ulfur. As a little girl toddled over to him, she took his hand in her own, placing a golden bracelet admist his slender digits, motioning towards the little one with a kind smile.

"Hello, mister. My name is Lisabelle." She had folded her hands behind her back swaying cutely. "What's your name, sir?"

Skarr gauged his reaction from where she stood, somewhat nervous that he might react with unkindness. Though, she believed in the better of all people, and Carter, so far, did not cease to surprise her.
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 pm

The way that the people moved about Skarr, so careful and like they had known her for her entire life made Carter realize something had happened to her when she was young. After his own mother had died, he had been left to raise two young children and a new born alone at the age of ten. A few of the people in the village did what they could for him but the fear of some retribution from King Bennett made them not do much. He had done his best to meld them into good people, especially his sister.

Snapping from his own thoughts, he looked at the bracelet that Skarr handed him. It was beautiful, encrusted with jewels. When he saw the little girl, he knew exactly what he was expected to do. He picked the little girl up under his arm and smiled, holding her so that she was sitting in the crook of his arm.

"Well hello Lisabelle," Carter smiled as he put the bracelet on the wrist of the young girl, "my names Carter. I'm a visitor to your village. I must say, you have the nicest dress of anyone here. Did your mother make it for you?"

He glanced over at Skarr, thinking to himself See, I'm good with children. Maybe you can trust me now.
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Skarr smiled, something hidden behind those eyes that no one but two would be able to place directly. She had watched him, realizing he was in deep thought, snapping out of it as quickly as he had befallen it. It was a curious state for her to be in. Just what had he been thinking about in that moment? But the kindness that spread across his features made her relax as she listened to his and Lisabelle's converstion with amusement.

"Auntie Skarr made my dress, mister Carter sir. I want to be as pretty as her one day, but Auntie Skarr said 'why wait?'." The little girl erupted into a fit of giggles, oogling the beautiful bracelet Carter had given her.

Skarr couldn't hold her amusement any longer, letting small laughter bubble on her lips almost silently. She didn't expect Lisabelle to be so open with a stranger, as she usually kept to herself from shyness, but now it seemed prominant that she would tell Carter like it was. Dmitri hung an arm over her shoulders lazily admist around her neck, with a goofy grin, laughing right along with her.

"So little sis, you found yourself a straggler?" He asked quietly. "He's not Vincent, you know."

"Not quite. He's different, Dmitri. Not from around here at all. And he's not Vincent...I know..but there's something about him. I don't know.." She whispered against his frame.

Whilst they talked, Skarr just barely overheard Lisabelle's playful laughter.

"Mister Carter sir," Lisabelle commented, tugging on the collar of his shirt, "I like you. And if I like you, I know Auntie Skarr does. So you better take care of her. She lives allllll alone in that biiiiiiiiig forest out there. And Lisabelle doesn't want Auntie Skarr hurt, you hear?"

A little shocked, Skarr was taken aback just slightly. She had done well enough on her own for her adoptive Village to not worry about her, so it came as a surprise that Lisabelle, a mere four-year-old viewed the world as an adult would.
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Carter grew wide eyed but did his best to hide it from the child, "Auntie Skarr? Well you must be awful special to have a good auntie like her." His mind wandered to Skarr's family. She must have had brothers and sisters of her own to have a niece.

His hearing acute from years of thievery, he turned his head ever so slightly when he heard Skarr laugh. There was a man there with her, Carter judged it as that was her brother. He had never seen a brother and a sister look so different. Though, yes, there were different ascpets between his siblings, they all had the same basic features. They were all blonde haired and blue eyed, with frames that were not larger than need be due to years of starving. He couldn't make out what they were saying, thought he judged it was about him.

When Lisabelle tugged on his shirt, he looked over at her yet again, "You like me eh? Well then I must be awufl special for you to like me." He was taken aback at the way she looked at the world. It was true then, Skarr was alone in that....house, and he used the term very loosely for a large tree was no house, it was a tree. He saluted her with his free arm, "I promise, I'll take very good care of her."
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 6:09 pm

As soon as he looked over, Skarr briefly met his glance, looking away quickly as to continue her conversation with Dmitri. In truth, though little time had passed, Skarr already thought fondly of Carter. He may have seemed a bit rough around the edges, but she could tell he had a compassionate side. And right then, she decided that she could maybe perhaps trust him...if only a little. But then again, he was still a stranger. Something abnormal around Ulfur. And as she had said previously, he was different.

Lisabelle, she considered her niece, in every way possible, of which Dmitri had grown to be her brother. His parents, of course, were long gone by then, their life span hitting quickly by the way the village had carried itself. It wasn't so bad nowadays, when Skarr could fork as much as she could afford to give. Knowing that Lisabelle was happy was her main goal. And Lisabelle thrived off of the happiness of others.

"Auntie Skarr!!" Lisabelle had wiggled her way free from Carter's arms long enough to stop and smile back at him before she pursued her nurturing Aunt. Laughing, she tugged at Skarr's skirts, as if trying to pull her from her father's clutches. "Come see my new dolly I made!"

Smiling softly, Skarr mused that one day she may have her own child, and instead of being considered a wonderful aunt, she would be a wonderful mother. Running her fingers through her soft hair, she shook her head with an apologetic smile in Carter's general direction. Following the young girl, the villagers seemed to fall back into their usual routines, and Lisabelle began skipping and humming along to a lullaby Skarr had used to sing to her when she was little and her mother had died. It was the only way Isa would fall asleep.

"Maybe we're not so different, Carter..." She said softly, not really intending for him to hear, but even so if he did, then he did.
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Carter smiled as the young girl wiggled her way free. She was adorable, of that there was no doubt. He had been around children his entire life, having always had a soft spot for them. He raised his sister and brother right but they weren't his children. They weren't born of him and a woman he loved.

Love. That was a word that made Carter laugh. He had thought he had known love once, when he was a little boy. His mother and his father were seemingly in love. But if his father had truly loved his mother, he would have done anything for her. Instead he had left like a scared little boy running from a wild dog. Since that day, Carter had sworn off of love. He had himself and he had his siblings, that's all he needed.

Carter looked over at Skarr, wondering what her family was like. The man seemed very close to her. So, as they walked, he got closer. "Skarr, I must ask, who are these people to you?"
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 12:02 am

She shooed Isa away, pushing her backside gently, as if to encourage the girl to play ahead as they walked briskly to the little hut Dmitri had made years prior. She loved Isa and Jayce more than life itself, and nothing could ever change that. Not even for a moment. And just when Isa was out of earshot, she slowly began the story she had only told a handful of people.

"I had a family once. My mother and father were leaders of the gypsy camp we lived in. We were traveling entertainers. My mother taught me to dance, my father to dance with fire. It was peaceful. I had a brother and an older sister. They were stubborn, but loved me regardless. We were performing in Luminiege...when I said I had only heard rumors...I lied." Skarr actually felt quite terrible, but she never shared her history with just anyone.

"I have been there before...only once. And I will never go there again. My father had no idea it was a trap. Bennett had my entire camp slaughtered before my eyes. I watched them hang my loved ones as they threw rotten foods at them calling us witches and demons."

And for the first time in eighteen years, Skarr shed a tear for her fallen family. Wiping it away gently with a bent finger.

"Dmitri found me, and helped me escape to Ulfur. I was only three, I had no idea where to go or who to trust. But at that point, I only wanted my family back. But the Acerbitas family took me in as their own. Dmitri grew to be my big brother. When he met Karlissa, she brought light into the family and healed us of our broken wounds. Jayce came soon...and the Isa. But Karlissa remained sick with fever after her birth, and never recovered. I promised her I would always be there for them, as they had for me. Karlissa only wanted her family to be happy. So here I am."

She fell silent, feeling worn from sharing so much with someone who shouldn't care.
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 1:12 am

"Bennett," Carter sneered as he heard this story. He had seen cruelty before, women used by soldiers as if they were nothing or children starving on the streets or men beaten for something they did not do. But never, never had he heard terrible things like this. He wanted to wrap his arms around Skarr as she spoke of her family, spoke of the terrible things she had seen. No young woman should have ever been shown such hardship. At that moment, Carter knew she was much stronger than he was, that he would never be capable of being that strong.

"You had a family though," Carter spoke, more trying to convince himself that everything was okay than trying to convince her. "These nice people took you in. They gave you food and a place to live."

For a few minutes, Carter stood there in silence. He wasn't sure what to say or what to do. It was completely silent before he began to speak. "When I was a child...my father left us. I was ten. I had two siblings who were 4 and 6 and a newborn baby sister. I took to thievery to provide for them and I've been at it ever since."
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:50 pm

As Skarr listened she couldn't help but wonder just exactly what it was that Carter had been through. His life seemed just as complicated as hers, but at least he still had his family, whether it be broken or not. Skarr wouldn't have cared whether her family had stuck together to the very end, at least they would have been alive and doing decently for themselves. She missed them. That much was obvious, but you couldn't bring back the dead, even for a witch that was wrong. Things that die should stay dead, it was the way of life.

"I love my family, Carter. Of that there is no doubt. But what I would give to see my brother and sister again. To be able to smile and go exploring with my father, dancing with my mother. Things have changed so much since Bennett took the thrown, and one day, I feel his grief will overwhelm him, and he will pay for the things he has done. To all of us."

Her heart broke for him at each word he spoke of his own family. Times were rough in Luminiege, though everyone knew that. It was why Skarr chose to remain in Ulfur. Here some villages were poor, but the land was bountiful. Briefly, she wondered why he was all the way in Ulfur if his family remained in Luminiege. But she chose not to speak her opinion on something that he seemed overbearingly fragile on.

"So the young thief decided to claim Ulfur as his thieving turf, thus meeting another of his kind amongst his travels. And did they like each other? Oh, of course not. Nothing could be worse than two thieves trying to trust one another." Skarr laughed lightly. "I like you Carter. It may be nice if you decide to stick around these parts of Ulfur."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Naida Lake Dweller
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Castle's Keep :: Courtyard and Other Outside Places :: Lakes and Rivers-
Jump to: