The Castle's Keep
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Castle's Keep

Courts of kingdoms always hide secrets, be they from other members of the court or foreign nations. Though noble houses band together, sometimes they are kept that way only to plot against one another

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Naida Lake Dweller

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nols
Admin
Nols

The Naida Lake Dweller - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 12:13 pm

"You say took," replied Carter, his face a confused mass. "I heard simply that his own father passed on. Why do you say took as if he did something terrible to take the throne. Yes, there was cruelty when William Bennett was king, or so I have been told, but I have not heard anything of his son taking it."

Carter laid a hand on her shoulder, "I plan on sticking around as long as my family needs me. Perhaps you could visit my family in Luminiege. We are not a large family, not a unified village as the one you have here. But we respect each other. I know my sister is always looking for a new friend of some sort."

He looked around the home they had been led to, smiling. "Mayhaps I should fix everyone some supper. I may not be a chef of the royal calibur but I can make a delicious rabbit stew."
Back to top Go down
https://the-castles-keep.forumotion.com
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 am

"There are secrets, Carter. Some that no one knows. And I wish I could tell you how I know, but Stuart Bennett is not to be trusted. And it is not just the grudge I have against him speaking for me. One day, he will fall. And I hope I will be there to see it." She replied with a soft fondness, no hint of even the slightest of lying on her face. "And I would love to meet your family."

She smiled lightly, letting the truest of happiness reach her eyes as Isa ushered them in, pushing Carter in by his bottom with all the fussiness of a child. Their home was small, but it suited the Acerbitas family well. It was welcoming and warm, a fire in the pit causing the rooms to glow with a bright cheeriness. The air about the home was mild, a small table seated for four along the middle, and two doors that led off into the unknown for Carter, yet Skarr knew the two rooms like the back of her hands. One was for Jayce and Isa. The other, Dmitri and Karlissa, who had passed years ago. It was sad. But Skarr did as much as she could. Trying to be a decent 'mother' role in Jayce and Isa's life, yet still remaining the title of 'aunt'. Dmitri appreciated all of her efforts, and welcomed them, being a single father was tough.

Dmitri smiled as he entered last, taking a tight friendly grip upon Carter's right shoulder. "Rabbit stew, you say? I went hunting just this morning and caught a few amongst the traps. Cook them to your hearts content. But Skarr, I need a moment to speak with you on private matters."
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:05 am

Carter knew secrets. Carter knew what it was like to have to keep things to yourself in fear that someone would overhear what you had to say or do and turn you in to the royal guards so that you could rot in a cell in the dungeon...or worse...

Looking around the home, he nodded, sitting at the table. He smiled at the children, knowing that he would be able to deal with them if the time came. He was good with children, having raised his siblings from young ages taught him how to deal with children. He looked up at Dmitri, smiling. "Aye, rabbit stew. An old family recipe that I learned from my father when I was but a boy. I've been making it since I was but a child."

Judging by the sound in his voice when he told Skarr that the two of them had to speak on private matters, Carter paled. It had to be something with him. After all, he was an outsider.
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 10:55 am

Skarr became slightly confused. What could possibly be so important in this moment for him to shy away from company? Bittersweet. That's how Skarr could describe the taste welling up in the back of her throat as Dmitri pulled her aside to his back bedroom, closing the door just barely as not to be rude to a guest in his own home, yet enough to be considered a private conversation. His demeanor had changed little from their earlier conversation, yet he seemed all but a bit worried at this point. For what, Skarr didn't even have a guess, but time would tell. Dmitri was always terrible at keeping secrets, even when they were smaller. All she had to do was cross her arms, tap one foot precariously, and let a little of her infamous anger flare just at the edges. It was a great plot...especially when you wanted information. It usually always worked. But that worried look never left his features.

"What are you doing, Skarrlette?" He asked, crossing his own arms. "You know Vincent will be displeased if word reaches out to him."

"So what? Am I not allowed to have friends now?...Vincent doesn't control everything, Dmitri. You would do well to remember that. And besides that, when's the last time any of us has seen him, let alone heard from him? He's gone, Dmitri, and pray to the Heavens he never returns. Those were dark times, and I was in a dark place." She retorted, each word giving the sinking feeling in her heart.

"But this new boy...?" He left the sentence open for her to finish, yet had one eyebrow raised in speculation.

"He has a name, Dmitri. It's Carter. And he seems harmless. He's part of the Guild. Just like I am." She rolled her topaz hues to the ceiling trying hard to make sense as to where he was going with this.

"It could unbalance your magick, Skarr. And you know this. If you let him too close. You did that with Vincent, and see where that landed you? Bonded to a darkling. It's just bad news all together. I'm your brother. I'm supposed to worry about these things-"

Her temper began to flare higher as he continued droning on, so she undoubtedly cut him off, her tone slightly raised in annoyance. "I am well aware that I could unbalance my magick. But did you ever stop to think that Carter isn't a magical being like Vincent was? Vincent was a darkling, something none of us knew. So do not place the blame solely on me. He lied to everyone about everything. And I was just starting to gain control of my magick when he came along. I know it was a mistake, but it is one that I would never make again. Now, you listen to me, " she huffed, trying to calm herself, "I'll be careful, alright? I haven't even used magick in ages. And it's not like I can just wave it around, I'd be killed. But I don't think Carter is anything like we've ever seen outside this village. I can feel it. So just trust me. Please."

"If you say so...but just promise me one thing." His eyes pleaded for her to understand. "Promise me you won't tell him your true name. If he knows it, he can control you. Don't give him that much power."

"Okay, okay. I promise." She sighed exasperated. "Now can we get back out to our guest? It seems rather rude to leave him with your children when he isn't a close family member."

"Of course." Dmitri slowly opened the doorway, allowing Skarr to pass through without obstacles.

Rejoining Carter in the main room, now seemed kind of awkward. She thought she had stuck up for him as best as she possibly could. And if he overheard, then maybe he wouldn't be too upset with her or Dmitri for that matter. He might even somewhat appreciate the way she spoke about him, even though they had only known each other for a short while. And she hadn't been lying. There was something about him that Skarr couldn't quite place her finger on, but that something was the very thing that made her realize that Carter was above and beyond different than all the others she had met outside the village.
Back to top Go down
Nols
Admin
Nols

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 pm

As Skarr and Dmitri found themselves a way aways from everyone, Carter sat down in a chair at the table and removed his pack from his back. He took out a roll of parchment, a quill from an owl, and an ink well. It had been a while since he had been home, having staked out the carriage that would be passing through Ulfur for to long. Leaning down so that he could get comfortable, he dipped the tip of the quill in the ink well and began to write:

Dearest family,

I hope my letter finds you in a good mood and all in good health. I know it has been a while since I have come home from my duties but as you know, in my line of work that often is the case. I miss each of you dearly and hope to return as soon as I can.

Ivance I hope I did not miss you proposing to that sweet, sweet girl you claimed you loved. The two of you make a most excellent duo and someone of her temperment could only be met in love and duty by someone of yours.

Edward I hope you have not gotten into a brawl since the last time I have seen you. Violence, unneeded violence, is never the answer and these things are below a man of your calibur. Defending the family is one thing, fighting for the love of it is another.

Nolee, I hope you have given up your foolish dreams of nobility. There is no one in this lifetime or the next who can fix things for you but you. If you wish to change the world, to change the way that people like us are treated, you must rely on the good actions that you put into it before you rely on others.

The lot of you, I shall return in a few days time.

Love your brother,
Carter

He removed his quill from the paper when he heard the door to the other room open again, rolling up the parchment and tying it with a bit of rope he had aquired on one of his journey's to market. He slipped it inside of his jacket and smiled at Skarr, noting that there was a look in her eyes of awkwardness. Had she seen what he was writing? He had not heard anything that was going on, maybe just a few words here and there....

That was a lie. Though he had seemed to be off in his own little world while he was writing, he had heard as much as he needed to. Skarr wasn't her true name. Well, as far as Dmitri and Skarr knew it wasn't her real name. He didn't believe in magic, in old wives tales of fae and darkling's. That sort of thing was not his to mess with.

"Is something the matter?" he asked, playing the coy boy he so often was in new places.
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:18 pm

By the look on Carter's face, a pang of fear reached Skarr's heart. He had heard the entire conversation, and now she expected him to run at any moment. For the simplistic humans, magick was forbidden and unheard of nowadays, and that was truly sad, for not all magick was bad. And that is what scared Skarr the most. It was hard enough to make friends as a child growing up when everyone wanted nothing more to avoid you, and now that feeling returned, making her feel as if she were nine years old again, and a little boy didn't want to be her friend. Just as the village children had thrown stones at her, yelling profanities and condemning her to Hell for her heritage. It wasn't her fault that she was born with the powers she possessed.

Sighing, Skarrlette crossed her arms, and silently made way to the front door, eyes brimming slightly, but not that anyone would notice unless she wanted them to, Dmitri standing in his doorway, not quite understanding that Skarr knew Carter had overheard their conversation. A palm reached forward, not touching the wood of the door, but the locked unhinged, and the surface of the wood met her hand halfway, without any effort on Skarr's part. She gave a bereft smile, but remained in place.

"If you wish to leave, go." She spoke solemnly, but otherwise unorthodox. "Nothing shall keep you here. As no harm will befall you with the secrets I now hope you keep."

She searched his eyes for any emotion he had against her. Fear? Loathing? She had seen so much of it in her lifetime, that now she hoped it wouldn't faze her. And if it did, she would move on, like she had with so many others who couldn't accept her for the way she was. But she knew little of Carter. His actions surprised her to her very core. Maybe it would be different. Yet, maybe not.
Back to top Go down
Carter Delacroix

Carter Delacroix

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 11:14 pm

Carter looked puzzled as Skarr opened the door. Did she want him to leave? Did she know that he had listened to the conversation? Frowning he stood, putting a hand on either shoulder. "Skarr, I will keep these secrets to the grave but it hurts me to think that you really think so little of me that you think of me as someone who would turn their back on you for knowing these things. I do not believe in magic, be it good or bad or otherwise. I have never seen these things so I have no reason to believe in them."

He bowed, "If you wish for me to leave, then I shall leave. However, if you want me to stay I will do that. I do not fear you, Skarr. I do not hate you. I simply wish for a friend."
Back to top Go down
Mags

Mags

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 4:07 pm

“Only a fool wouldn’t believe in the darkest things that lurk behind every corner of this world, Carter. There are dark things out there. Then again, there is also good in this world. You just have to search for it. “ Skarr replied firmly. He honestly didn’t believe in magick, which was unbelievable considering magick was everywhere and nowhere at the same time. She would have to prove it to him one day, but for now she only wanted Carter to live in the peaceful bliss she had once known.

She reached the expression on his face, before turning to Dmitri with a glare. “I told you so.”

Dmitri began to open his mouth, but then decided against it and closed it instead. Nothing could be said, for he knew how Skarr operated. She would do as she pleased, as she always has. Yes, it was the closest thing he had to a relative, besides his children of course, but she was all he really had to talk to, and losing her over a stupid argument would be completely and utterly pointless. So instead, he nodded firmly. “I have to return to the Gate. Come children, time to return to the Square.” And with that, Jace and Isa followed their ever-loving father from the cottage.

Skarr sat down across from Carter at the tiny table, pulling her knees up into the chair against her chest to hug them tightly, resting her face against her knee caps, looking straight at him.

“There are a lot of things that you just don’t know, Carter. I wish I could show you all of it. At least the beauty in it.”
Back to top Go down
Carter Delacroix

Carter Delacroix

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 am

"A fool I have been called in the past and a fool I enjoy being," Carter replied, lounging back against the chair and draping his arm over the back behind him. "If I can maintain some sense of wonder in the world, I will. Magick may lurk out there and there may be some truth to it but from what I have seen the only magick in the world is dark magick and it will hurt you without so much as a second thought."

He stood when Dmitri went to leave, shaking the other mans hand. "It was good to meet you sir. I'm glad Skarr has someone of such power and such friendship to keep her safe. Gods know in the short moments that I have known her she has a problem with running her mouth to much."

He winked at Skarr, making sure she knew that he was joking about running her mouth before he sat down across from her again. She looked like a picturesque doll sitting like that and Carter had to look down so that he did nothing that they both would have regretted. "You say there is beauty in the world. Any beauty that I have ever known has been snatched from me and I cannot take it leaving me again. For now, I shall remain the fool that I am."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Naida Lake Dweller   The Naida Lake Dweller - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Naida Lake Dweller
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Castle's Keep :: Courtyard and Other Outside Places :: Lakes and Rivers-
Jump to: